Saturday, February 16, 2008

Cambridge malaise

I was a student here at Cambridge many years ago, and having returned recently I now remember one of the more unpleasant aspects of living here. To quote my brother, "everyone is ill, all the time". I'm just recovering from my fourth cold/flu of the season, and am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get any more. I've never figured out what it is about Cambridge that makes it such an unhealthy place to live. My mum was amused to read a quote in a newspaper article from the twelfth century, complaining that people in Cambridge can expect to be ill throughout the whole winter, finally recovering again when spring arrives. Isn't it nice to know that some things never change!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie, Davíð og James Hafsteinn said...

Does it have to do with the amount of time that people are waiting for the next bus to come out of Cambridge's Bermuda Triangle? Perfect research for you to analyse!

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's surrounded by water... i don't know how that would effect things but I just have a feeling about it... meanwhile why do you suppose we all get sick here... I know... 'cos it's bloody freezing and we're living in the depths of hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?

6:58 AM  
Blogger jess said...

Right, but the strange thing is I was only ill once or twice during the whole two and a half years I spent in Iceland. How does that make sense?

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home