Tuesday, January 23, 2007

flying solo

I've been doing a lot of travelling on my own recently. Last week I was at Heathrow on my way to Geneva, and ordered a burger from the Garfunkel's restaurant there. It arrived along with a nice, shiny brand new bottle of ketchup. I can't eat chips without ketchup, so I held it upside down over my plate and started to whack the bottle hard with my hand. Several minutes later I was still going, and there was no sign of any ketchup. A kind man at the next table felt sorry for me, and lent me his bottle of ketchup to try. After several minutes of thumping the new bottle there was still no response. Eventually I managed to flag down a passing waiter and ask for a clean knife which I used to shovel the ketchup out of the bottle. Now, I consider myself an independent woman. I can happily haul suitcases weighing 20 kilos plus up and down long flights of stairs, and on and off luggage belts. But getting the ketchup out of the bottle without making a fool of myself? I need a man for that!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jamie, Davíð og James Hafsteinn said...

Well, just his knife:-)

1:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ketchup is thixotropic - the more you shake it, the more liquid it becomes.

Also most people bang the bottom of the bottle, as you want sudden de-celeration it's much better to hold one arm out and hit it with the hand holding the bottle so it stops suddenly.

10:17 AM  
Blogger jess said...

Thanks Jon. Nest time I'm presented with a non-squeezy bottle I'll give you a ring so you can remind me what to do. Or maybe I'll just ask for a knife straight away!

11:40 AM  
Blogger var jeg blot en gran said...

hei jessica! I hope you are the jessica i know:) I have tried to send you an email but i think i had the wrong adress. hope you are okay and having fun traveling around eating ketchup! I am doing fine here in sweden, but I miss you all in iceland! lots of hugs from marie

3:43 PM  
Blogger jess said...

Hi Marie! Hope you are well. We miss you here too - hope you can come and visit soon. I'll ask Jamie for your email address.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home